Skip To Content

Athabasca University

Evaluations and Transfer Credit

3.2.3 Foreign Transcript Evaluations

Students presenting non-Canadian/non-United States credentials for possible transfer credit to an AU program must obtain an evaluation of post-secondary course work from an international assessment agency, for example, the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS). The credential assessment agency will assess each student's international educational documents and compare them to educational credentials in Canada.

All assessments, regardless of the agency used, must be completed using original documents or certified copies—official documents issued directly from the sending institution are preferred. AU only accepts detailed course-by-course assessments. Students must also submit copies of all foreign transcripts used in the assessment to AU. Please note AU reserves the right to request that official documents be sent directly from the institution to AU.

If you elect not to use an assessment agency, you may not obtain any transfer credit for your course work towards an AU program.

There are a number of other foreign credential evaluating services whose assessments may be accepted. In Canada, refer to the Alliance of Credential Evaluation Services of Canada.

AU can also accept assessments from the U.S. from members of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) or the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers Foreign Education Credential Service (AACRAO).


Information effective Sept. 1, 2017 to Aug. 31, 2018.

Updated July 24 2017 by laurab

AU, CANADA'S OPEN UNIVERSITY, is an internationally recognized leader in online and distance learning.