Skip To Content

Athabasca University

Admission, Registration and Evaluation

Due to Covid-19, Athabasca University has temporarily changed some student processes. Please refer to the Covid Q&A page for any updates and current steps that may be different from our regular practices.

3.3 Letter of Permission

A Letter of Permission (LOP) is a document that states that a post secondary institution will allow the course be transfered in. It is issued by the post-secondary institution the student is enrolled in a program at. The Letter of Permission is a means of tracking the courses you take at other institutions. The letter also indicates to the external institution that you are a visiting student and provides you information regarding the transfer credit that will be awarded for external courses. While most students who submit a LOP would like the requested course(s) fit as a substitution into their program regulations, receiving the letter does not guarantee the course will fit.

There are two types of Letter of Permission: Outgoing and Incoming.


Information effective Sept. 1, 2020 to Aug. 31, 2021.

Updated January 19 2021 by laurab

AU, CANADA'S OPEN UNIVERSITY, is an internationally recognized leader in online and distance learning.