Skip To Content

Athabasca University


Due to Covid-19, Athabasca University has temporarily changed some student processes. Please refer to the Covid Q&A page for any updates and current steps that may be different from our regular practices.

3.1.5 Admission Classifications Active Students

Active students are those who are currently registered in an AU course or who have completed or withdrawn from an AU course within the last 12 months. The 12-month period is based on the most recent course contract date, course completion date, or the date of withdrawal from an AU course.

Students who complete courses on a Letter of Permission from AU also retain their active status.

Active students are able to log in to myAU where they have access to personal information such as their library account, assignment marks, and course grades, or take care of administrative matters such as registering for courses, booking examinations, or applying for extensions. Inactive Students

Inactive students are those who have not registered in an AU course within 12 months of the most recent course contract end date or the date of withdrawal from their last AU course.

Returning students with an inactive AU account, will need to log into myAU and reactivate their active status by completing a new Undergraduate General Application Form before they can register in courses. Changing Programs/Status

Changing Programs: Active students who want to change their enrolment from unclassified (non-program/visiting) to program, or change from one undergraduate program to another undergraduate program; or inactive students who would like to reactivate their account, must log in to myAU and in the Student Record section, under “Manage Your Program”, select “Change Your Program”.

Changing Concentrations, Majors, or Designations in the Same Program: Active program students who are changing their concentration, major, or designation, but stay in the same credential, are governed by the credential regulations in effect at the time this change is made. Students who wish to remain under the regulations that were in effect at the time of their initial enrolment in the credential may remain under the original enrolment date by making the request in writing to

A change from one credential to another constitutes a change of program. For example, a change from a three-year to a four-year credential, or a change from one university certificate to another university certificate are changes to program.

Inactive students will be asked if they require an evaluation of previous post-secondary studies. Previously-completed course work, including transfer credit, will be reassessed and applied to the student’s program in accordance with the degree regulations and procedures in effect at the time of re-enrolment. A fee is required for this service if it wasn't submitted previously.

Effective November 5, 2018, students requesting a transfer credit evaluation are responsible for providing recently issued official transcript(s) to the Enrolment Services Unit. These documents will be retained for 3 years.

International Assessment Services (e.g. IQAS, WES, etc.) documents are requested as required and will be retained indefinitely.

All students are required to fulfill the program regulations in effect at the time of their enrolment. Course work completed previously will be assessed toward the new credential.


Information effective Sept. 1, 2020 to Aug. 31, 2021.

Updated February 25 2021 by laurab

AU, CANADA'S OPEN UNIVERSITY, is an internationally recognized leader in online and distance learning.