Non-Academic Misconduct Policy
10.2.2 Non-Academic Offences
Non-academic offences include
- disruption of University activities
- unauthorized entry or use of University facilities
- misappropriation of, misuse of, or damage to University property
- physical abuse or dangerous activity resulting, or likely to result in physical abuse of person or property
- written and/or verbal abuse
- sexual harassment
- refusal to provide identification
- smoking in prohibited areas
10.2.2.1 Disruption of University Activities
Disruption of University activities includes but is not limited to exam-writing, tutoring, teaching, studying, research, administration, and meetings.
10.2.2.2 Unauthorized Entry and Use
Unauthorized entry and/or use refers to any University building, facility, room, or office. Facilities include but are not limited to the central office, learning centers, University House, and parking lots.
10.2.2.3 Misappropriation of, Misuse of, or Damage to University Property
Misappropriation of, misuse of, or damage to University property includes
- misappropriation of or possession of misappropriated University property
- intentional or negligent damage of University property
- removal of books or other library and audio-visual material without proper authorization
- mutilation or defacing of books or other library materials
- intentionally misplacing resources or in any other way intentionally depriving other members of the University of the property or of having access to the resources.
10.2.2.4 Physical Abuse and Dangerous Activity
Physical abuse and dangerous activity include
- actual physical abuse or threat of physical abuse to another person
- damage to another person’s property
- knowingly, and without just cause, cause another person to fear physical abuse or fear damage to his/her property
- creating a condition that unnecessarily endangers or threatens the health, safety, or well-being of other persons, or could cause damage to property
10.2.2.5 Written and/or Verbal Harassment
Written and/or verbal harassment includes the use of threatening, obscene, profane, or racist language, or language that is otherwise abusive in the circumstances, by a student, directed to another student, an instructor, officer, or other employee of the University, or any other person.
10.2.2.6 Sexual Harassment
Sexual harassment includes
- written and/or verbal abuse or threats
- unwelcome remarks, jokes, innuendoes, or taunting
- displaying pornographic or other offensive or derogatory pictures
- practical jokes that cause awkwardness or embarrassment
- unwelcome invitations or requests, whether direct, explicit, or intimidating
- leering or other gestures
- unnecessary physical contact such as touching, patting, pinching, punching
- physical assault
10.2.2.7 Refusal to Provide Identification
It is an offence to refuse to provide identification upon request by an officer, employee, or agent of the University acting on behalf of the University in the course of his/her duties where the said person has reason to believe an individual is committing, has committed, or is about to commit an offence.
10.2.2.8 Non-Adherence to Smoking Policy
Smoking is prohibited at Athabasca University and its Learning Centres. Smoking is permitted outside these facilities.
Information effective Sept. 1, 2015 to Aug. 31, 2016.