Return to Section 6 Index
6.8 Evaluations and Transfer Credit

Alberta Advanced Education has mandated Athabasca University to act as a credit coordinating body. In general, credit courses completed at other accredited degree-granting institutions will be considered for transfer credit to Athabasca University programs on a course-by-course basis.

University transfer courses taken at colleges will generally be considered for transfer credit as though they were university courses. Athabasca University responds to all evaluations individually. The relevant credential program regulations are dependent on the year the college program and/or individual courses were completed, the course selection within the diploma, and other variables. Individual credit may vary.

If you are presenting courses taken previously at other post-secondary institutions to be evaluated for credit towards an Athabasca University credential, official transcripts must be mailed directly from the issuing institution to Athabasca University. Detailed course descriptions may also be required.

If you are a new student and you wish to transfer credit to an Athabasca University program, you must enrol in a specific program by completing the Undergraduate General Application Form, and submit the one-time, non-refundable application fee.
If you are a continuing student, log in to my AU and complete and submit the online Change of Program Form.

Non-Canadian students who will be presenting international credentials for possible transfer credit to an Athabasca University program, refer to Section 6.6.3.

   Undergraduate General Application Form (PDF)
   Undergraduate General Application Form (HTML)
   Evaluation Procedures

6.8.1 Block Transfer Credit/College Diplomas

Through articulation agreements with other institutions, Athabasca University accepts many college diplomas and other credentials as blocks of transfer credit toward Athabasca University programs. In these cases, the student's transcript is reviewed, and transfer credit is awarded as a block of credit rather than on a course-by-course basis.

Block transfer arrangements are most often associated with specific programs and may not be applicable to all Athabasca University credentials.  Athabasca University has articulated courses and programs from more than 240 institutions and organizations.

If an articulation agreement is not in place, you may request a course-by-course evaluation. To determine how your previous education could transfer to an Athabasca University program, contact an Athabasca University advisor or refer to the Transfer Credit Database website below.

  Transfer credit arrangements
  Detailed course outlines


6.8.2 Procedure

Complete and submit the Undergraduate General Application Form, select an undergraduate degree, diploma, or certificate program, and submit the non-refundable application fee to the Office of the Registrar.

Unclassified/visiting students

If you are an unclassified/visiting or inactive student and you would like to enrol in an Athabasca University program, complete and submit a new Undergraduate General Application Form and select an undergraduate degree, diploma, or certificate program. You are required to submit the non-refundable evaluation fee, but, as a previously admitted student you are not required to resubmit the general application fee again.

Arrange to have official transcripts of your previous education—from each institution that you formerly attended—sent directly to Athabasca University, Admissions and Evaluations Services, Office of the Registrar. Athabasca University will evaluate all post-secondary course work completed within Canada and the United States. In some cases, additional supporting documentation may also be required in order to begin the evaluation.

Course Outlines
This information will be of use to students who want to have unassigned credit changed to direct equivalency credit, as well as to students who wish to have courses evaluated which have not been granted transfer credit.

For either of the above type cases, the student must present detailed course outlines to the Admissions/ Evaluations Office. Calendar descriptions will not suffice.

The information in the detailed course outlines should include:

    • Institution name
    • Course name, number, and year completed
    • A statement of the course objectives
    • A detailed outline for the course
    • The number of weeks of duration
    • Hours per week of lecture (laboratory/tutorial/seminar/studio work)
    • The method of evaluation and grading
    • The textbooks used
    • Content of assignments and assignment weighing
    • Credential of instructor(s)
    • Course title of prerequisite or corequisite courses (if any)
    • Credit value
Some departments or faculties may require students to provide copies of examinations and/or assignments. When this information is received, it will be reviewed by the appropriate department. You will be notified of the results in writing.

   General Application Fee
   Unclassified/Visiting student
   Inactive student
   Evaluation fee
    Detailed course outlines


6.8.3 Prior Learning

While transfer credit for individual field placement, professional seminars, work experience, life experience, or elementary skills is not normally granted, students should contact the Centre for Learning Accreditation for information. The office will help you determine which learning experiences may be evaluated for credit towards a program.

   Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition website

6.8.4 Transfer Procedure from Athabasca University

Generally, Athabasca University courses are transferable to other Canadian degree-granting institutions.

Athabasca University is unable to advise you on which of its courses would transfer into a program at another institution. The decision to accept courses for transferability lies exclusively with the home institution.

If you are in a program at another post-secondary institution and wish to take an Athabasca University course, you are advised to obtain a Letter of Permission from your home institution before taking the Athabasca University course. If you do not obtain permission you may not receive credit for the course at your home institution.

Alberta Transfer Guide

Students wishing to transfer courses or programs to another institution should refer to the Alberta Transfer Guide, which lists all courses and program transfer agreements between post-secondary institutions in Alberta, the Northwest Territories, and Nunavut. The Guide and other transfer information are available online or by contacting

Alberta Council on Admission and Transfer
11th Floor, Commerce Place
10155 - 102 Street
Edmonton, AB
T5J 4L5
Phone: 780.422.9021 or 310.0000 toll-free

   Alberta Transfer Guide

6.8.5 Timelines

Evaluations take time. Once Admissions and Evaluations Services receives all the transcripts, supporting documents, and required fees, your evaluation request enters a queue. It can take from ten to twelve weeks to complete your evaluation. If additional information is required, or Athabasca University is experiencing high volumes of requests, it may take longer. In addition to official transcripts, supporting documentation, such as course and program descriptions, may be required from the sending institution.

Failure to provide this information when it is requested will impede the evaluation process. When the evaluation is complete, you will receive a letter indicating what transfer credit has been awarded and how it has been applied to your program of study.

6.8.6 Registering in a Course

While you wait for your evaluation of previous education to be completed, you may register in a course(s). However, if your course duplicates course work that you completed previously, you will receive credit for one course only. Athabasca University cannot officially approve any courses as being applicable to your program until your evaluation assessment is complete. If you register in a course and are subsequently given transfer credit for a similar course completed previously, you have the option of withdrawing from the course. Refer to Section 6.17.

Course selection assistance may be obtained from an Athabasca University student advisor or by completing and submitting an Information Request Form.


6.8.7 Notification of Evaluation

Once your evaluation is complete, Evaluation Services will issue an evaluation letter outlining the transfer credit awarded. Examine the transfer credit awarded closely, and how it has been applied to your program of study.

If you require assistance in understanding the evaluation results or in program planning, please contact a student advisor. If you have questions as to why a course did not receive transfer credit, please contact Evaluation Services immediately.

   Student advisor


6.8.8 Transcripts

When you enrol in a program and request an evaluation, you must arrange to have official transcripts of your previous post-secondary education from each institution attended, mailed directly to Athabasca University, Admissions and Evaluations Services. Official transcripts must be mailed from the issuing institution to Athabasca University. Faxed documentation is not considered official and cannot be used for evaluation purposes or for awarding transfer credit.

Documents received in support of an application for admission become the property of Athabasca University. If the documents are irreplaceable, you may request that they be returned by Admissions and Evaluations Services. Ensure the correct mailing address is provided or the documents will be sent by registered mail to the most recent address on file. Athabasca University does not assume responsibility for lost documents.

If you are requesting a transcript from Athabasca University, learn how you can request a transcript online. You may also print, and complete and submit the Transcript Request Form (PDF). There are no fees required unless you request that your transcript be couriered.


6.8.9 Transfer Credit Time Limits

Usually, courses will be considered for transfer credit regardless of when they were completed. Depending on the program, Athabasca University will not award transfer credit for nursing courses, some administrative studies courses (e.g., law, senior-level accounting, management science, marketing or finance courses), information systems courses, or science courses that were completed more than 10 years ago. In addition, the University will not grant transfer credit in the following programs for computer science courses taken more than five years ago.

Bachelor of Arts concentration and major in Information Systems
Bachelor of Science in Computing Information Systems
Bachelor of Science in Computing Information Systems (Post Diploma)
University Certificate in Computing Information Systems

Students transferring credit completed within a Canadian Information Processing Society (CIPS) accredited diploma or who have completed a science-related diploma program from a college or technical institute, and who are enrolling in the Bachelor of Science Program, may not be eligible for a block transfer of credit if the diplomas are more than five years old.

Consequently, if student diplomas are more than five years old and students are currently active in their field of study, they should arrange to provide evidence of this activity to Admissions and Evaluations Services (e.g., a letter from their employer, a copy of professional membership etc.). Students who choose to change programs may ask a student advisor for help in determining whether courses they have completed through Athabasca University will be accepted into the new program.


6.8.10 Appeal Process

Students can appeal a transfer credit decision by following details in the Student Code of Conduct and Right to Appeal Regulations.



Site Map
About Athabasca
Admissions and
   Academic Regulations

Fees, Financial
Examinations and Grades
Student Services
Student Code of
   Conduct and Right
   to Appeal Regulations

Academic Awards

Registration Services
Important Dates
Contact AU



 • Information effective Sept. 1, 2008 to Aug. 31, 2009.
 • Links: Web Unit, Privacy & Conditions. © Athabasca University.

next page...
go to Calendar Homepage go to University Homepage