Skip To Content

Undergraduate Calendar 2012|13

University Certificate - General Regulations

University Certificates

Regulations effective September 1, 2011.

General Regulations

University certificate programs provide interim qualifications in specific subject areas. The following general regulations apply to all certificate programs. Athabasca University has developed individual program learning outcomes that describe the career options that may be available to you upon graduating.

  1. Fifty per cent* of the total credits required, must be completed through Athabasca University. Up to 50 per cent of the required credits may be transferred from another post-secondary institution.

    * Some certificate programs require less than 50 per cent, e.g., University Certificate in Counselling Women and University Certificate in English Language Studies.
  2. University certificate credentials are awarded throughout the year. Students must submit an Application for Graduation Form to the Office of the Registrar (see Graduation).
  3. Students with less than 50 per cent of coursework completed in their current Athabasca University degree program may withdraw from their degree and apply into a university certificate program. Credit will be awarded (from the previous incomplete degree program) to the extent permissible under the applicable program regulations in effect at the time of the change of credential.
  4. Students with 50 per cent of coursework completed in their current Athabasca University degree program are encouraged to consult with a student advisor before changing programs.
  5. Students who change their program of study from an Athabasca University degree program to a university certificate program forfeit their standing in the degree program. If students wish to return to the degree program (after being enrolled in the university certificate program) they will be required to meet the degree requirements in effect at the time of re-enrolment (see Changing Programs) to the degree.
  6. Students who have completed a previous credential (degree, certificate, or diploma) from Athabasca University or another institution must complete a minimum of 50 per cent of the credits in course work not previously used towards any credential.

    Students who have a previous credential in the same subject area as the certificate cannot enrol in the certificate.

  7. Students may obtain either the University Certificate in Human Resources and Labour Relations (formerly Industrial Relations and Human Resources) or the University Certificate in Labour Studies, but not both.




















Information effective Sept. 1, 2011 to Aug. 31, 2012.

Updated May 16, 2012