Return to Section 6 Index
6.11 Letter of Permission

A Letter of Permission is a document that permits an Athabasca University credential student to take one or more courses at another post-secondary institution for credit toward the student's Athabasca University program. When a Letter of Permission is issued, one copy goes to the external institution and one goes to the student. Athabasca University no longer charges a fee for this service.

The Letter of Permission is your student record—a means of tracking the courses you take at other institutions—and it keeps you active in your program. The letter also indicates to the external institution that you are a visiting student. Information regarding the transfer equivalencies of particular external courses is also indicated in the letter.

The letter indicates the course equivalency at Athabasca University, but it is not a guarantee that the course(s) will be applied towards your credential.

Athabasca University students are responsible for ensuring that any courses taken elsewhere will fit into their Athabasca University program. If you need program planning assistance, complete and submit an Information Request Form or phone 1.800.788.9041 and ask to speak to an Athabasca University advisor.

    Letter of Permission Request Form (PDF)
    Information Request Form


6.11.1 Before You Register

Before you register at another post-secondary institution and take courses for credit to be applied towards your Athabasca University credential, you must request the Letter of Permission from Admissions and Evaluations Services. It is important to remember that credit will not be applied to your credential if you do not first obtain a Letter of Permission, and until Athabasca University receives an official transcript that indicates successful completion of the course taken elsewhere.

Request the Letter of Permission a minimum of one month before the course registration date. This will allow Athabasca University time to process, approve, and forward the letter. When you complete the external course, you must ensure that official transcripts are forwarded to Athabasca University. If you need program planning assistance, complete and submit an Information Request Form or phone 1.800.788.9041.

    Admissions and Evaluations Services
    Information Request Form


6.11.2 Visiting Students

Visiting students take courses at Athabasca University for transfer credit to other post-secondary institutions. Before you register in a course at Athabasca University, you are advised to obtain a Letter of Permission from your home institution that indicates it will accept the Athabasca University course in your program.



Site Map
About Athabasca
Admissions and
   Academic Regulations

Fees, Financial
Examinations and Grades
Student Services
Student Code of
   Conduct and Right
   to Appeal Regulations

Academic Awards

Registration Services
Important Dates
Contact AU



 • Information effective Sept. 1, 2008 to Aug. 31, 2009.
 • Links: Web Unit, Privacy & Conditions. © Athabasca University.

next page...
go to Calendar Homepage go to University Homepage