Skip To Content

Athabasca University

Letter of Permission

3.3.1 Outgoing Letter of Permission: Before You Register

Before you register in courses for credit at another post-secondary institution towards your Athabasca University (AU) credential, you must request a Letter of Permission (LOP) from Transfer Credit Services, Office of the Registrar. Once a decision has been made on your LOP request, a letter will be sent to the external institution noted in your request and one to you indicating the transfer credit awarded. Please check your program carefully to ensure the proposed transfer credit fits into your credential. The transfer credit awarded on your LOP is for the course indicated and does not take into consideration the program you are enrolled in, it may or may not fit within your credential regulations. If you need assistance in determining if the credit will fit, contact a student advisor.

The Letter of Permission is valid for one year and maintains your active program status if you are not registered in any AU courses at the same time.

Request the Letter of Permission a minimum of six weeks before the course registration date. This will allow AU time to process, approve, and forward the letter. There is no fee for this service.

Credit will not be applied to your program if you do not first obtain a Letter of Permission and after course completion make arrangements for an official transcript to be submitted to AU that indicates successful completion of the course(s). This is not an automatic process. You must request transcripts be sent to AU.


Information effective Sept. 1, 2019 to Aug. 31, 2020.

Updated October 10 2019 by laurab

AU, CANADA'S OPEN UNIVERSITY, is an internationally recognized leader in online and distance learning.