Skip To Content

Undergraduate Calendar 2012|13

Non-Canadian Students


5.1.6 Non-Canadian Students

Athabasca University welcomes non-Canadian students: students who do not hold Canadian citizenship or are not permanent residents of Canada. In the case of a dispute over an individual’s status within Canada, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) regulations will apply. Refer to Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s website or phone 1.888.242.2100 for details. Non-Canadian Students Studying in Canada – Study Permits

Citizenship and Immigration Canada considers Athabasca University to be an institution that delivers its education via distance learning. Since distance learning does not require a person to be residing in Canada to partake in AU programs and courses, a study permit cannot be issued.

Foreign students residing outside Canada can enrol as either unclassified (non program/visiting) students or as program students.

Non-Canadian students (foreign nationals) who are living temporarily in Canada who are registered in a course for a period of six months or less do not require a study permit.

When is a study permit required?

1. A foreign student enrolled in an Athabasca University program attending an Alberta college with which the University has a collaboration agreement will require a valid study permit.

2. If an Athabasca University program has a requirement for the non-Canadian student to be physically in Canada to complete a practicum, or other course component, for longer than six months, then the student must apply for a study permit for the duration of the in-Canada portion of the course

Unclassified students Studying Outside Canada

All students studying outside of Canada must comply with the regulations governing the normal course contract period. Extensions beyond the normal course contract period in individualized study courses are available to all students. Refer to Section 5.4.1. Overseas Students’ Course Start Dates

Course start dates for students living overseas depend on the arrival of the course package. To reduce postal delays, Athabasca University will courier your course package but you must provide a street address (not a Post Office box address) and telephone number. Overseas students (those living outside Canada or the continental United States) are required to register for their courses two months prior to the intended course contract start dates. Communication

Athabasca University’s toll-free telephone system applies to students located in Canada or the U.S. Overseas students are responsible for all long distance telephone charges to the University and their tutor.

If you are an overseas student who is interested in registering in a course that has an oral exam, be advised that the exam may be conducted by email, phone, or other methods which can be arranged between you and your tutor. Students are responsible for all long distance telephone charges to the University and their tutor.

The evaluations section of the course syllabus will indicate whether the course has an oral quiz or examination. Non-Canadian Evaluations

Students presenting non-Canadian/non-United States credentials for possible transfer credit to an Athabasca University program, must obtain an evaluation of post-secondary course work from an international assessment agency, for example, the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS).

IQAS will assess each student’s international educational documents and compare them to educational credentials in Canada. Athabasca University requires a description of course work evaluation from IQAS. Students must also submit copies of all foreign transcripts to Athabasca University.

If you elect not to use IQAS (or another comparable assessment service. Please see below.), you may not obtain any transfer credit for your course work towards an Athabasca University program. Upon request, the Office of the Registrar will forward you information and an application package to be returned to IQAS.

There are a number of other foreign credential evaluating services whose assessments will be accepted.

Athabasca University can also accept assessments from Comparative Education Services (CES) at the University of Toronto.

Athabasca University only accepts detailed course-by-course assessments for assessment purposes.


Information effective Sept. 1, 2011 to Aug. 31, 2012.

Updated May 17, 2012