Admissions Policy/Course Registration
As an open university, Athabasca University's only admission requirement is that a student must be 16 years of age or older. In special cases, students under the age of 16 may be admitted by petitioning the Office of the Registrar.
Students may not enrol in an Athabasca University undergraduate or graduate program while they are enrolled in a program at another post-secondary institution.
Those students may take courses as unclassified students until they have either completed or withdrawn from the other program.
Returning Athabasca University students can register for courses through the myAU portal. If you are no longer an active student, you may still access the myAU page and follow the reactivation procedure.
To remain an active Athabasca University student
you must be registered in an AU course, or have completed an AU course within the last 12 months. The 12-month period is based on the most recent course contract date, course completion date, or the date of withdrawal from an AU course. Students who complete courses on a Letter of Permission from Athabasca University also retain their active status.
If you become inactive, please complete and submit the Reactivation Form.
Before you register in a course, you must complete and submit an Undergraduate General Application Form. To determine your student category, please refer to Admission Classifications.
- Apply online *
- Apply by mail or fax (PDF)
- Apply in person at Athabasca University in Athabasca, Edmonton, or Calgary, Alberta.
- Pay the application fee.
- Receive your student ID.
After being admitted to Athabasca University and enrolled as an unclassified or program student, confirmation will be made by eletters or mail. If you enrol in a program, you are responsible for selecting courses that meet the program regulations and requirements in effect on the date you enrolled.
* As of December 10, 2009, Athabasca University went live with ApplyAlberta. This affects new undergraduate students applying to an AU program for the first time. ApplyAlberta is a new, secure online application and transcript exchange system that students will use to:
- apply to one or more of Alberta's public post-secondary institutions through one portal, and
- authorize institution(s) to request the transfer of their Alberta high school and post-secondary transcripts.
Student personal and academic information is entered only once—it is filled in automatically on each ApplyAlberta application submitted.
As students go through this admission process online, they will automatically be taken to the ApplyAlberta website. For the most current information on this new system, visit ApplyAlberta.