Undergraduate Programs
University Certificates
Regulations effective September 1, 2006



General Regulations

University certificate programs provide interim qualifications in specific subject areas. The following general regulations apply to all certificate programs. Athabasca University has developed individual program learning outcomes that describe the career options that may be available to you upon graduating.

Fifty percent* of the total credits required, must be completed through Athabasca University. Up to 50 percent of the required credits may be transferred from another post-secondary institution.
Some certificate programs require less than 50 percent, e.g., University Certificate in Counselling Women and University Certificate in English Language Studies.

University certificate credentials are awarded throughout the year. Students must submit an Application for Graduation Form to the Office of the Registrar (see 6.20 Convocation).

Students with less than 50 percent of coursework completed in their current Athabasca University degree program may withdraw from their degree and apply into a university certificate program. Credit will be awarded (from the previous incomplete degree program) to the extent permissible under the applicable program regulations in effect at the time of the change of credential.

Students with 50 percent of coursework completed in their current Athabasca University degree program must receive written permission from the appropriate program director before being eligible to change from their current degree program to a university certificate program.

Students who change their program of study from an Athabasca University degree program to a university certificate program forfeit their standing in the degree program. If students wish to return to the degree program (after being enrolled in the university certificate program) they will be required to meet the degree requirements in effect at the time of re-enrolment (see Changing Programs ) to the degree.

Students with a previous credential (either from Athabasca University or another institution) that contains more than 50 percent of the credits required for any specific university certificate program, cannot enrol in the specific university certificate program unless the regulations as outlined for the specific certificate formally permit such enrolments (e.g., University Certificate in French Language Proficiency).

Students may obtain either the University Certificate in Human Resources and Labour Relations (formerly Industrial Relations and Human Resources) or the University Certificate in Labour Studies, but not both.

Site Map
About Athabasca
Admissions and
    Academic Regulations

Fees, Financial
Examinations and Grades
Student Services
Student Code of
   Conduct and Right
   to Appeal Regulations

Academic Awards

Registration Services
Important Dates
Contact AU


 • Information effective Sept. 1, 2006 to Aug. 31, 2007.
 • Links: Web Unit, Privacy & Conditions. © Athabasca University.
Archived regulations

next page...
go to Calendar Homepage go to University Homepage