Skip To Content

Graduate Calendar 2014|15

Additional Services

Library Service

AU Library also serves the needs of graduate students.

Tuition, Education, and Textbook Amounts Certificate (T2202A)

In Canada, students may be able to reduce income taxes payable by claiming tax credits for enrolment in and payment of tuition and academic fees for Athabasca University's credit courses.

Each February, the official Tuition, Education, and Textbook Amounts Certificate (Form T2202A) will be available to all eligible students in printable format on myAU portal.

To be eligible for the tuition tax credit, the total of such fees paid to an educational institution in Canada for the year must exceed $100.

The calendar year for which the fees are paid, not the date on which the fees are paid, is used to calculate eligible tuition fees. Tuition fees paid for courses that extend beyond the calendar year-end will be pro-rated on the T2202A according to the period of course delivery pertaining to each calendar year.

For example, if a course has an October 1 start date and a March 31 contract end date, only 50 per cent of the tuition fee representing the October through December period will be reflected in the current year tax credit certificate. The remaining 50 per cent, representing January through March, will be reflected in the following year's T2202A.

Students may be eligible for the Tuition, Education, and Textbook Amounts Certificate tax credit for each month of part-time or full-time registration. For income tax purposes, a full-time student at the graduate studies level is defined as a person actively registered in at least .75 credits per month (three credits for every four-month period).

The Tuition, Education, and Textbook Amounts Certificate (form T2202A) will reflect the months of enrolment that are eligible to be considered as part time or full time. Further details concerning the Tuition, Education, and Textbook Amounts Certificate may be found in Canada Customs and Revenue Agency's (CCRA) Personal Income Tax Guide or by contacting a CCRA district taxation office.

Financial Assistance

Financial assistance is available to part-time and full-time graduate studies students from their local financial aid agency. Full-time students may be eligible for loans, grants, bursaries, or scholarships.

To qualify for full-time status at the graduate studies level, students must be registered in a minimum of a 60 per cent course load (.75 credits per month). To qualify for a 100 per cent course load, students must register in a minimum of 12 credits (one credit per month).

For example:

3 credits for Term 1
6 credits for Term 2
3 credits for Term 3

Simply maintaining program status does not meet the requirements established by the Students Finance Board for full-time funding purposes. Students are responsible to ensure that they follow the financial assistance guidelines outlined by the Students’ Finance Board in the province in which they live.

Students who request that certification of a 100 per cent course load be provided to their financial aid agency, must identify their full 12-month study plan before their first term of study begins. Students are permitted to use any combination of credits in their three identified terms provided the total number of credits is equal to 12 and that they identify an active registration for each term.

For example:

Scenario 1 Scenario 2 Scenario 3
3 credits for Term 1 6 credits for Term 1 3 credits for Term 1
6 credits for Term 2 3 credits for Term 2 3 credits for Term 2
3 credits for Term 3 3 credits for Term 3 6 credits for Term 3

For more information about full- and part-time status, please refer to the Office of the Registrar's student financial aid information.

Contact AU Student Financial Aid

Office of the Registrar
1 University Drive
Athabasca, AB T8S 3A3
Fax 780.675.6174

Regulations and Appeals

AU policies and regulations governing academic conduct and appeals apply to all students. Refer to the Student Code of Conduct and Right to Appeal Regulations website.

International Transcripts

Applicants submitting any official documents (e.g., transcripts) in a language other than English must provide an official translation of such documents. If the credential being submitted has been earned outside Canada or the US, documentation that attests to its equivalence to a Canadian baccalaureate degree is required. Such documentation may be obtained from:

International Qualifications
Assessment Services
9th Floor, 108 Street Building
9942 - 108 Street
Edmonton, AB T5K 2J5
IQAS Website
Telephone: 780.427.2655
Fax: 780.422.9734

University of Toronto
Comparative Education Services
Telephone: 416.978.2400

World Education Services
Telephone: 416.972.0070
Toll-free: 866.343.0070
Fax: 416.972.9004


Information effective Sept. 1, 2014 to Aug. 31, 2015.

Updated July 03, 2014